Turning Small Steps Into One Easy Habit
by Marianne Love | Aug 18, 2022
We all know how hard it is to create a new habit. Many of my clients tell me that they can’t meditate. That when they close their eyes, everything gets louder and more distracting. They feel their mind runs all over the place and they feel emotionally uncomfortable. Like with anything new, there will be resistance and some chaos before it all settles down. One of the keys to creating a habit and falling in love with meditation is to begin forming a habit around it.
Keys to creating a habit:
- Do it even when you don’t feel like it.
- Find a spot where you won’t be disturbed.
- Use props that you can associate with your meditation practice – like essential oils, a blanket you put on the chair, or a particular chair.
- Play relaxing enjoyable music to relax the mind
- Begin with a guided process like a recorded visualization.
- Be kind to yourself
- Do a little bit every day. The key is getting used to doing the practice. Doing it every day is the win; don’t worry about having the perfect meditation experience.
- Find a meditation you enjoy doing.
The nervous system is like a wild animal. The more you slowly meet it with calm, kindness, compassion, and stillness, the more it will relax into your focused attention.
~ Marianne Love